House way too hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1960's house, that is constantly way too hot throughout the summer - I know that this is expected during the warmer months, but it's way hotter than it should be (upstairs is ~29 degrees in the evening). I've tried various advice I've found online such as keeping blinds down, whilst allowing ventilation to flow through the windows, trying to push air around using a fan etc. We also got our cavity walls insulated last year, but nothing has really helped.
There is some quite thick insulation on the floor of the loft (where it's also swelteringly hot) - is it possible that this is having an adverse affect? Would opening the loft hatch and trying to force some air circulation up there help things?
Any tips would be appreciated. I'm open to spending a few hundred pounds to get this sorted, although not too keen on the idea of air con.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well you're luckier than I am in regard to having your windows open. I've been a fresh air fiend all of my life but my wife hates the thought of insects coming through the screened windows. Owing to a back problem I'm sleeping in my cave until we can afford a firm matress, so ground level with a screen door, I open the glass door wide. My cave however, isn't insulated at all so during the day it's not easy to cope.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live in a bungalow on a steep valley side exposed to extremes of weather. Our south facing front room used to get extremely hot but a few years ago I replaced the double glazing units; just the units because our 56 year old softwood frames are in excellent condition.

I did some online research as to glass types and we chose Pilkington K glass for the inner panes of the units. The window is 12' long x 4' tall so a lot of glass area. What a tremendous difference this has made also we have heavy roller blackout blinds; the glass blocks heat from within the room escaping but also blocks heat from entering from outside. I've just tried to open the Pilkington website but it's refusing to open.

We keep our room windows firmly closed and if it starts to heat up a bit too much we switch a fan on just to circulate the air but not have the fan blowing directly towards us; we bought the fan from our local Home Bargains store it only costing around £17; the fan is similar to this and it just sits on the room carpet.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe...RkHOW7Z3Mm-00kwcajic9tAs1fp5r3dBoC20gQAvD_BwE

At the time the new double glazed units only cost around £350 but I installed them myself.

I think you'll find it even hotter in your loft once the sun has heated the roof.

Open windows at night once the temperature outside drops.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Keep your windows closed. pull the blinds and try opening the loft door.
Heat rises and a lot of air can escape from under the eaves.
We have metalic lined curtains, they keep a lot of heat out (or in) when closed of our lounge which is South facing

Last edited:

Ask a Question