Hiding Pipe Work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

just wondering if you can help me. In most sections of my home pipework is quite visible and i am (where i can ) looking to hide them. please see attached image of my poor graphic work in good old paint,im sure you will get the jist of what i am talking about.

I have 2 downward pipes in the corner of my room which protrude about 1 1/2 inches of the wall. i intend of boxing them in but i am not really good at creating my own boxing. So really i am asking what is the best method or what to buy to box these pipes in. i can only seem to find boxing for floor pipes and the sizes don't go up to what i need which from floor to ceiling is around 8ft. Cheers
coner boxing.jpg

Reaction score
Hi and welcome

Whatever you use to box these pipes in will still be as obvious as the pipes themselves.

If you really want to hide them and they don't stick out too far, why not baton out the whole wall and buy some 8ft sheets of plasterboard and make yourself a false wall that will hide the lot?

I did this with this wall many years ago. I used teak veneered sheets, on 2" X 1" wooden batons, this enabled me to fit uplighters as the wires are behind the panels (both sides of the chimney breast). About ten years ago we had the panels painted.

P1040785.JPG

Reaction score
What you need to add is what size pipe (15-mm, 22-mm etc.) assuming it's copper or plastic, and what service is it? Heating etc.
I know it's unlikely, but as a plumber mate of mine's trainee son found out once, don't assume that pipes are what the appear to be - his lead pipe was the lead sheath of a live mains cable so cutting it with a hacksaw wasn't a great idea. It's just that some electrical ducting is round plastic.
1 1/2" standoff sounds a bit excessive. Maybe it's because the pipes cross over each other, which is poor plumbing - there are things called crossovers, or better planning.
Trunking is one answer but as Doghouse says, it's as obtrusive as the pipes but not quite as much. Trunking does come in all sorts of sizes and some intended for dado rail sockets is quite deep and looks a bit like skirting board.
I have done the same as Doghouse and created a false stud wall - mine was even deeper and was needed to run 4" ventilation ducting up the stairwell from ground floor to roof-space - but it's a big old job and getting a nice finish can be a challenge. But it does give you a chance to run any other services live TV cables. A void is always useful.
Another way might be to replumb that bit and put the pipework in channels in ducting in the wall (don't bury directly, work in horizontal or vertical runs). Plastic plumbing like Speedfit works well and is available already in it's own trunking - I tend to use flexible plastic 20-mm electrical ducting which is cheaper.

Dom

Reaction score
Hello all.

just wondering if you can help me. In most sections of my home pipework is quite visible and i am (where i can ) looking to hide them. please see attached image of my poor graphic work in good old paint,im sure you will get the jist of what i am talking about.

I have 2 downward pipes in the corner of my room which protrude about 1 1/2 inches of the wall. i intend of boxing them in but i am not really good at creating my own boxing. So really i am asking what is the best method or what to buy to box these pipes in. i can only seem to find boxing for floor pipes and the sizes don't go up to what i need which from floor to ceiling is around 8ft. CheersView attachment 2733

Dom

Reaction score
Masking/hiding pipes is a problem, previous suggestions are major construction undertakings even if they are the ideal solution to hide pipes and cables.
I am not sure about your DIY skills level but if suitable my suggestion is very simple, the only assumption is that the pips are 15mm and can be manipulated slightly to fit the replacement Pipe clips as below.
I am frequently asked to undertake heating modifications alterations and improve the appearance of pre routed pipes with cost restraints.
Please google Talon 15mm x 3m Double Pipe cover. They are available from serval local retailers, perhaps go and look at them (Wicks), purchase a set of the pipe clips that go with the covers and see if these clips could replace the ones fitted to the pipes running down the wall, this will give you a good idea if the cover will fit. The white covers can be painted or papered after fitting.
You could use the same covers for the horizontal run but your diagram seems to show a cross over so they would not fit.
If you’re skirting board profile type is still available I would purchase a suitable length and use this to create a box in front of the existing skirting board.
If, as your diagram seems to show the feed to the near side of the radiator is running over the top of the radiator I can only sagest a radiator shelf fitted above the radiator. Other than this good plumbing skills would be needed if it is copper pipe and an understanding of your heating system to drain it and re-route the pipes.
These are the simplest methods I hope they help.

Ask a Question