Hello everyone!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm a new homeowner that's trying to basically do all I can myself. I'm not much of a decorator but I definitely have a style. I'm here to learn all I can and save even more. I'm looking forward to learning from you all.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Mayjoy. If you have questions about a particular project please include as much information as possible. There is no such thing as too much info. Pictures also are a big help and this site makes it super easy to post them. Also include your state so answers will be relevant to your area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome to the forum from me too. :)

Good advice from Doug.

None of us were good at anything until we tried and made the many mistakes which is the learning curve; those who say "I can't do that" are correct and they never will. Go ahead and make lots of mistakes; ask what appear to be silly questions; if you ask you'll find out and by asking it can save tears and wasted time and materials. We're all still learning; I've been doing DIY for over 50 years and it seems the more I do the less I know; I still make lots of mistakes often the same mistake a number of times but to achieve success is not to quit.

Decorating is a huge subject on its own; just looking at materials can be overwhelming to a novice but a bit of practice and a few early successes will soon bring confidence to tackle bigger projects; don't be put off by people with negative comments who tell you a certain job can't be done; go ahead and prove them wrong; safety is paramount not only to yourself but to others around you so never take risks; electrical safety is so important; water and electricity don't mix so be careful working around electrical fittings; if in doubt simply turn off the electric at the mains.

I was bottom of the school in woodwork but I love all aspects of woodwork now; my woodwork teacher was a bully and I detested woodworking classes hence my initial dislike; encouragement goes a long way and here on the forum you'll get the encouragement you need.

Never be scared to admit and share your mistakes or things that go wrong; no one is perfect but sharing helps others.

Buy good quality tools and materials; expensive when handing over the money but the money is soon forgotten and you'll build up a tool kit to last you a lifetime; it's surprising what can be achieved with just a few good quality tools and persistence. Go for it and enjoy what you're doing; don't regard something a chore turn it into a project then you'll look at it differently; it works for me. I've rambled on enough so good luck in your endeavours.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question