freeing up old sash windows

Reaction score
I have three sash windows on our bungalow that date back to the 50s - they're not the usual type with the rope and pulley, but the type with springs.

Over the years they have been painted over so many times that they're jammed shut, and I've been led to believe that I can cut through and into the gap between the frame and window with an oscillating tool. Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions on how to go about it - what kind of blade, etc? I hunted around on Youtube hoping for some kind of guide, but no luck so far.

Thanks

Reaction score
This may assist??

There are loads of such items on there.

Can I ask?? are your windows modified to accept a spring system meaning at one time did the windows have sash weights and pullies with ropes?

if the windows at one time had weights / ropes / pullies DO NOT go at them as you are suggesting above.

Ken

Reaction score
No, apparently that's how they were built. I should point out that the video you linked to doesn't really address the issue - perhaps i should have give more detail. These aren't metal windows as shown in the clip, but traditional wooden windows that have been painted over so many times that they're almost as one with the framework. I'm trying to free them up, not trying to fix springs. One note from the attached picture - it was taken before I cleaned off all that chipped and flaking paint.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Right.

Looks as if the sashes have been sealed shut, probably to stop draughts? looks as if a mastic, or some sort of sealant / filler has been installed between the sashes[probably all of them] and the frames.

Suggest you use [say] a Stanley knife and CAREFULLY cut away the filler [shows up as white on the image.] take your time a slip of the blade will leave a deep scar, difficult to get rid of??

If ??? that is a removable strip of wood between the upper sash and the frame, [use a magnet to check for screws / nails] it should be possible to CAREFULLY remove it and free up the top sash, as for the lower sash the timber bead may have a [sort of a ] half round top should be able to be prized off? using a chisel??

To assist in freeing the sashes, as above cut away the mastic/ filler and use a chisel to ease off and free the sashes. Using CAREFULLY a hammer and a chisel [Chisel should be 25.mm of wider] CAREFULLY tap the chisel into the gap between sash and frame go all the way around each sash with the chisel, the sashes should then be easier to move.

Hope the above makes sense? it is the protocol used to free off a traditional rope / pulley / weight old fashioned sash window.

Ken

Reaction score
That's interesting. We were going to hire someone to do it, and he mentioned using the oscillating tool to do the work. Unfortunately he can't get around to it for at least a couple of months as it's a side-job for him, so I thought I'd take a crack at it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, It's Right.....

• Painting shut windows are the most prevalent cause of jammed windows. To break the paint seal, carefully go around the edges with a putty knife.
  • Humidity-induced swelling is another prevalent cause. The window can sometimes be opened by applying slight pressure. A change in the weather, on the other hand, might be enough.
  • Older windows feature a rope and pulley system built into the walls, along with a counterweight, to let them open and close more effortlessly. The ropes that control the weights frequently degrade and break, producing problems with the windows. You'll need an expert to go into the window frame and replace the ropes to remedy this. To improve energy efficiency, it's sometimes just as simple to replace the window with a new, thermally sealed one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
  • Older windows feature a rope and pulley system built into the walls, along with a counterweight, to let them open and close more effortlessly. The ropes that control the weights frequently degrade and break, producing problems with the windows. You'll need an expert to go into the window frame and replace the ropes to remedy this. To improve energy efficiency, it's sometimes just as simple to replace the window with a new, thermally sealed one.
they're not the usual type with the rope and pulley, but the type with springs.

Ask a Question