Fan heater cutting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our bathroom Dimplex fan heater started cutting out after five minutes running.

Not the thermostat or thermal link just fluff. A very easy fix but firstly isolate the power which is paramount for safety. I removed the complete unit from the wall then took it into the workshop and blew away all the fluff using the compressor air line; reinstalling is usually quick and easy but this time I'd forgotten the two cover screws were still in place inside the cover until I tipped the cover over to hear tinkling as not one but both screws dropped into the sink and straight down the plug hole. How typical of my luck the screws couldn't drop onto the much larger floor. If the screws don't want to play fair then they can rust away in the sink trap; I've got a huge stock of fasteners so two suitable stainless steel wood screws now safely secure the cover. I still get caught out even after 55 years of practice.

Kind regards, Colin.

Bathroom heater_0001.JPG

Hidden out of sight against the wall; fluff build up.

Bathroom heater_0003.JPG

Inside the fan heater; fluff build up around the motor hence the motor overheated and the safety cut in. Such fluff built up is dangerous and leads to house fires especially in tumble dryers. It's imperative to ensure the electricity is definitely isolated before removing the cover; I'm just adding this as interest and not encouragement.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
It is amazing how every place that air flows there are “crud” deposits. The blades of a fan are probably the best demonstration of this. I wonder how our lungs can still function after so many decades of inhaling these impurities.

Reaction score
Hello Colin
Strictly speaking, it was the cut-out operating as it should.
The fluff just restricts the airflow and everything gets too hot, a bit like Whirlpool tumble driers.
Yes, the amount of debris in the air is scary, but not unexpected.
Another good example are things like insect meshes on roofspace ventilators. Never get cleaned or even looked at. Next thing is dripping wet loft.
As for the screws, use a strong magnet to keep everything together and don't forget to put the plug in the plughole.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks piglet. yes the cut out is there for overheating otherwise there would be lots of house fires; it's surprising just how much fluff collects; lots of tumble dryers have burst into flames due to the filter being blocked by fluff. A bit late about putting the plug in the plug hole; I'd totally forgotten the hidden screws which dropped out; the toilet lid was down so the screws dropped into the sink instead; how typical. The fan heater is fine now. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question