DECT phones in bathrooms or toilets

Reaction score
My wife has health and mobility issues, so there is a telephone (on a wired BT landline extension socket) in the bathroom, placed in a corner well away from the bath or sink but accessible in the event of an emergency if she is at home alone.

It seems likely that we will have to move to these new DECT phones powered off the broadband before too long. All the DECT handsets need a 230V socket to power the charging base, so how do we do that safely in a bathroom/toilet?

Admittedly the instructions with such phones say not to put them in damp environments anyway, which seems to make render the 'mobility' aspect of them pretty useless!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would purchase a cordless phone with a handset. She can take the handset when she's bathing, or using the facilities. I know it might sound odd, but I'm sure she would get used to it.

REASON: Aside from the charging receptacle (230vac), an analog phone line is approx. 20-25volts on TONE, and 70-80volts on RINGING. As an electrician, I have received quite a good "jolt" from an analog phone line (residential) when someone is calling in!!!! It actually wakes you up pretty good! While it may be fatal for your wife, the mental/emotional impact of receiving an electric shock might startle her and cause her to hurt herself. With anyone who might be in a fragile state, I would keep all wiring out of a bathroom. A remote cordless phone handset does not pose this risk as it is not connected to the utilities communication lines, rather, the base (for the handset) is.

Ask a Question