Daily tripping of RCD main breaker

Reaction score
I have a "Volex Protecter" VCU6/80 panal
Almost every day during the past 2 weeks, one of the circuit breakers in the panel has tripped off (morning or evening). This one has no individual label for the house. It just has the manufactures label and is called "RCD Protected Circuits" VR 80.
When it trips, none of the named trips are affected (they stay in the on position). However; I lose power to all wall sockets within the house and garage. The lights are all ok as is the main oven/grill.

Usually, on immediatly putting the trip switch back on, it immediatly trips off again.
At this stage I go to one socket which is feeding equipment and switch it off, then try for another attempt to reset the trip. Sadly this, so far, has not narrowed it down sufficently, because what happens is that the fault is intermittant in that sometimes I go to the switch and it allows a reset without having switched off any equipment. However I have been able to exclude some items by having many, little used, items switched off.

So it should not be Kettle, Oven/Grill, Toaster, Outside water feature, Boiler, Dishwasher, ClothsWasher, Microwave, Vacume Cleaner, Carpet Cleaner, Iron, Auto outside lights.

Things it could be are Boiler Pump, Kitchen Fridge/Freezer, Garage Freezer, Hifi, Computer, Toothbrush on charge, Mains clock, TV in kitchen, Timeswitches (5) (and any other items I have overlooked!

Any ideas anyone? Thank you.

TAB

Reaction score
Try resetting the RCD with the MCBs in the off position. Then turn on the MCBs one by one. If turning one particular MCB on trips the RCD then you have found the faulty circuit and you can start from there to locate the fault. A fridge, freezer or CH pump are often the main culprits if it is not a fixed wiring fault.

TAB

Reaction score
Thank you "TAB". That is excellent advice. As it happens it did not trip yesterday but I will do as you suggest the next time it happens. Of course, as you say, if on turning back on, a certain MCB, it trips the RCD, then I've only got to check the items that circuit feeds. However; since the fault is intermittant, I might not get another RCD trip from any of the MCBs on that occausion.
I suppose if, with the RCD tripped off, and all MCBs turned off, then attempt a reset of the RCD and find that that immediatly trips back off; the fault will be in the house wiring - not in a particular plugged in item?

TAB

Reaction score
Have a read of
wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.phptitle=RCD#How_to_locate_the_cause_of_nuisance_trips
as quite a few things can cause RCDs to trip

TAB

TAB

Reaction score
wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=RCD#How_to_locate_the_cause_of_nuisance_trips
should work

Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help "TAB" but after trying your link without finding the page for 3 times. I've decided it takes longer to type that in than it does to reset the switch!
You had what looked like a possible space in the word "nui sance" so I tried it without a space and with a "_" instead instead of a space. Neither worked! I just got a "Talk Talk" page saying that my page could not be found.

TAB

Reaction score
Stick a http and a :// at the front of the second link I gave.

Reaction score
If it's intermitant it could be something that is not powered up all the time like a freezer pump moter or central heating pump.

Reaction score
Thanks for your good sugggestion Russ. Strangly, from a few days after I posted my plea for advice, The fault has not appeared again.

Ask a Question