Cutting pipes in awkward places

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week I ran network cabling between several rooms in our house and whenever I needed to drill through cavity walls I used a bit of conduit as a channel in the hole I drilled.

However, as I wanted to minimise how visible the cable was, I ran some of it behind existing pattress boxes (for co-ax points) or near pipes in the garage. However, this meant hat it was hard to cut one end of the conduit as there was little room for manoeuvre.

Are there any useful tools you know of that would let me cut a plastic pipe flush to the wall? Space is limited (nowhere near enough room for one of those small pipe cutters or a hacksaw.

This time, I just scored it and snapped it - 2/3 of the pipes broke cleanly, and the others will do. However, I thought it may be useful to see if there are any tools that I'm missing out on ;).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good question Ian and something anyone with a home workshop comes up against at some time whilst trying to cut in a confined space. Is it possible to insert a longer length of conduit than required; mark its length at the wall then pull the conduit back out and cut it neatly on the bench before pushing it fully home?

This will bring tears to your eyes but I have a top quality Fein Multimaster Top;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fein-FMM350Q-Multi-Master-Accessories-240v/dp/B00L94I7LU

I seldom use this expensive bit of kit but when I do I really appreciate owning it; cheaper versions are available and I think Aldi sell cheap ones from time to time?

A little story about my Fein; when I wanted to buy one a few years ago I browsed the web and an online site was selling these for £200 with next day delivery; I thought I'll try to support our local tool store Timothy Wood's and with £220 cash in my pocket entered the store; there were a big pile of these Fein's stacked on the floor; at the counter I explained what I wanted and was informed one of these would cost me £240; I said I've got £220 cash on me; I left the store and bought online it being delivered free P&P the following day; all the guy had to do was to lift one of these onto the counter and I would have paid the extra £20; I've not visited the store since.

I've just been nosy and found this which should be fine for the odd job?

https://www.manomano.co.uk/multi-function-tool/300w-diy-multi-tool-300w-6352809?model_id=6352809

I'll be interested to see more replies?

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Colin :). Unfortunately, once the conduit is in the wall, there's no moving it (at least not easily).

Ah yes, a multitool may have done the job, at least for some of the locations - good call. I bought a Ryobi cordless version a long while ago, it's comparatively low powered but it would have cut through the pipe like butter, had I remembered about it!

A little story about my Fein; when I wanted to buy one a few years ago I browsed the web and an online site was selling these for £200 with next day delivery; I thought I'll try to support our local tool store Timothy Wood's and with £220 cash in my pocket entered the store; there were a big pile of these Fein's stacked on the floor; at the counter I explained what I wanted and was informed one of these would cost me £240; I said I've got £220 cash on me; I left the store and bought online it being delivered free P&P the following day; all the guy had to do was to lift one of these onto the counter and I would have paid the extra £20; I've not visited the store since.
I often wonder how brick and mortar stores are going to compete with the online world (business rates, paying tax unlike Amazon, store costs, etc...) - I don't mind paying a bit of a premium to buy in person, like in this case. But an extra 20% on an expensive tool is a lot and I'd have bought online too. I like how Toolstation and Screwfix work, as prices are generally reasonable and online/in person orders cost the same.

Ask a Question