Condensation inside windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm completely confused as to why I have condensation on the inside of all my new upvc windows. They were all replaced last year but previous problem with old windows as well. I live in a 3 bed link detached house.

It only happens in cold weather. But overnight every window is full of condensation on the inside.

I do not leave clothes on radiators to dry and thought initially that was the problem so purchased a tumble dryer in the garage. It made no difference.

I thought it may be because I don't heat all the rooms in the house so tried leaving all radiators on but to no avail.

I just don't understand what's happening ?
One of the air vents in the living room had been boarded up but I replaed it with air vent, still no difference.

All the experts state open windows so moisture doesn't build up but it's freezing and noone else I know opens windows in freezing temperatures. I live on a close and all the houses are same build but noone else has this problem.

I wipe windows down every morning, it takes well over 10 minutes, as it's like someone thrown buckets of water of them. but I'm sure it won't be long before mould starts forming on walls near windows.

Can anyone suggest how I can solve this. One site suggested purchasing a dehumidifier for the moisture built up but I really don't think that would deal with issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reaction score
A couple of considerations?

In the Kitchen when cooking, especially [say] spaghetti or potatoes, ant food stuff that needs to be boiled krrp the kitchen door closed.

Is there a vent in the kitchen a cooker hood or similar BUT??? does the hood expel air to the outside, or does i tjust recirculate the vapour into the room and the rest of the house if the kitchen door is open?

As you leave the room leave the vent hood running, If the hood only recirculates into the kitchen open a window. by doing this the unseen water vapour will be expelled to the open air, close the window after a weee while,

bathroom, is there as above a vent extract? does the fan "run on" when the light is switched off?? even if there is a run on open a window after a bath or shower, leave the window open for about 5 to 10 Mins.

On leaving the bathroom, get out fast and shut the door trapping vapour and steam in the room, not letting it spread all over the house.

Ken

Reaction score
As you know, the issue is that the humidity levels inside your house are too high. When the hot inside air hits the cold window glass pane, condensation forms. The moisture is pulled out of the air onto the glass - or any wildly cold surface. The higher humidity, the more moisture in the air and the more condensation that forms on the cold surfaces.

If there are no obvious sources of the moisture inside the house such as frequent cooking with water or frequent showers/hot baths, then most likely the insulation quality within the house is the culprit. This time of year, as we transition from warmer temps of fall into the colder temps of winter, the outside air is very damp/humid. A poorly insulated house allows this moist air to easily infiltrate the home.

As the daily highs drop, so does the humidity which is why we all get dry skin in the winter. You will likely see the condensation levels on your windows drop and even cease altogether. That's the good news. The bad news is that if you DO see the condensation level go away as it gets colder, then there is most likely an insulation problem.

Because you just had the windows replaced, I would start with the insulation around the windows in the wall. An expert can make short work of finding the insulation gaps in your home this time of year using a thermal imaging scanner or you can buy your own scanner online.

By the way, you can also buy an inexpensive temperature and humidity detector to monitor the levels inside the house. The ideal range for humidity inside is between 30%-50%.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm completely confused as to why I have condensation on the inside of all my new upvc windows. They were all replaced last year but previous problem with old windows as well. I live in a 3 bed link detached house.

It only happens in cold weather. But overnight every window is full of condensation on the inside.

I do not leave clothes on radiators to dry and thought initially that was the problem so purchased a tumble dryer in the garage. It made no difference.

I thought it may be because I don't heat all the rooms in the house so tried leaving all radiators on but to no avail.

I just don't understand what's happening ?
One of the air vents in the living room had been boarded up but I replaed it with air vent, still no difference.

All the experts state open windows so moisture doesn't build up but it's freezing and noone else I know opens windows in freezing temperatures. I live on a close and all the houses are same build but noone else has this problem.

I wipe windows down every morning, it takes well over 10 minutes, as it's like someone thrown buckets of water of them. but I'm sure it won't be long before mould starts forming on walls near windows.

Can anyone suggest how I can solve this. One site suggested purchasing a dehumidifier for the moisture built up but I really don't think that would deal with issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Visualise your home as a box.
Is water entering your home externally from above or below?
Check your roof, bitumen roof felting or modern breathable plastic alternative (underneath roof), downpipes, drainage system & drains.

If water isnt entering your house externally, could it be entering your house internally?

Get your house checked for energy / heat / water loss.

Are any old plumbing pipes leaking inside your home that you cant see, particularly at ground level?

Are you generating water inside your house from your own behaviour baths, cooking, lots of people etc

Air is a water sponge. The warmer it gets the more it retains water. The cooler it gets the less it retains water,

When warm air meets cold air, water condenses on the cooler object.

Effective double glazing cant stop condensation, but should reduce it, but not in excessively cold weather.

After checking all of the above, you might be left with the realisation that your home is perfectly ok,
but that you live in a damp area with lots of humidity in Autumn / Winter i.e 70 - 85%.

Meaco Ultra Low Energy Dehumidifier 25L is an exceptionally efficient dehumidifier / clothes dryer / room fan
(not recommended for older people due to weight).

Meaco Dry Arete One 20L or 25L is a recently released dehumidifier / air purifier which is lighter in weight designed for modern living,
flats, older people etc.

Homes are cheaper to heat with lower humidity i.e 50%. Dont make your home too dry else it may effect your health!

Once you solve your problem your life will be so much better.

Less air humidity, bacterial formation on walls, furniture, windows etc.

My fingers are crossed for you......

Reaction score
As you know, the issue is that the humidity levels inside your house are too high. When the hot inside air hits the cold window glass pane, condensation forms. The moisture is pulled out of the air onto the glass - or any wildly cold surface. The higher humidity, the more moisture in the air and the more condensation that forms on the cold surfaces.

If there are no obvious sources of the moisture inside the house such as frequent cooking with water or frequent showers/hot baths, then most likely the insulation quality within the house is the culprit. This time of year, as we transition from warmer temps of fall into the colder temps of winter, the outside air is very damp/humid. A poorly insulated house allows this moist air to easily infiltrate the home.

As the daily highs drop, so does the humidity which is why we all get dry skin in the winter. You will likely see the condensation levels on your windows drop and even cease altogether. That's the good news. The bad news is that if you DO see the condensation level go away as it gets colder, then there is most likely an insulation problem.

Because you just had the windows replaced, I would start with the insulation around the windows in the wall. An expert can make short work of finding the insulation gaps in your home this time of year using a thermal imaging scanner or you can buy your own scanner online.

By the way, you can also buy an inexpensive temperature and humidity detector to monitor the levels inside the house. The ideal range for humidity inside is between 30%-50%.
Older homes with air vents / cavity walls (air gaps) were designed with wall / roof ventilation in mind.
Insulating cavity walls restricts air flow in cavity wall & roof space.
Solving one problem / inadvertenly creating another.
If cavity walls are insulated making your home warmer, ensure roof spaces have sufficient ventilation to keep your roof dry.
NB: Heavy condensation forms on cold roof undersides during cold, wet periods in November in Northern UK.

Reaction score
Bottom line.if there are no ceiling stains indicating rain water penetration or condensation issues in the loft, and no water staining on the walls, then start to control water vapour, steam from cooking, seam from the bathroom.

Use a kitchen vent, but the vent needs to get rid of the steam outside, likewise in the bathroom.

keep the kitchen and bathroom door closed when steam is being produced and for about 30 Mins. after using these rooms, leave the vents running or??? open a window in that room to allow vapour / steam to vent out and not into the property.

Ken.

Ask a Question