Concrete newbies

Reaction score
Well, I thought this topic might get a few pro conrete layers to give input, but they must all be busy. So hopefully we will get some responses from them during the winter months.

I would just like to let you homeowners know that concrete work is not that tough.
If I can do it, many of you can.
I will admit, it is labor intense, lifting and working as fast as you can. But when you figure out your savings when it is done, you will be glad you tried it.

I have my system down to a routine that is relatively easy to follow.
After buying the cement mixer, I can pour a 8x8 slab for about $60 to $70.
Pay a concrete company to do that and you will pay $300 or more, probably more like $400 or $500.

So if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll tell you my process and tips.

My system won't work for everyone but if you live within 50 miles of a gravel company, and can lift a 5 gal bucket half full of sand high enough to dump it into a mixer about 48 inches high, you can save yourself a lot of money DIY.

Reaction score
Have you ever retrofitted underfloor heating with a concrete floor?

Just curious as to whether it would be better to excavate the floor or lay the pipes on top - not the highest ceilings on ground floor.

Was wondering if you could help?

Ask a Question