Cold radiator

Reaction score
Hi, the living room radiator in my son's house is not getting warm. He says he has tried bleading it and no air, just water came out. The feed pipe is warm up to a couple of yds from the radiator but then gets cold before it reaches it. Unfortunately he lives a couple of hundred miles away so I haven't seen it, just what he has told me over the phone. Any ideas ? Thanks

Reaction score
Hi he bought the house last summer so this is the first winter he has been in. It's an old system but good boiler. All the other rads are working fine. Thanks

Reaction score
Hi, the living room radiator in my son's house is not getting warm. He says he has tried bleading it and no air, just water came out. The feed pipe is warm up to a couple of yds from the radiator but then gets cold before it reaches it. Unfortunately he lives a couple of hundred miles away so I haven't seen it, just what he has told me over the phone. Any ideas ? Thanks

There are two valves one at each end of the radiator. This enables the water to be turned off if the radiator needs removing. He could try turning both off, removing the radiator and flushig it out and then reconnecting them.
Then open both valves and bleed it off. Then repressureise the system before turning on the boiler again.
It could be that the inlet valve is bunged up, or even turned off.

Reaction score
Hi thanks for that. Just double checking so I can ring him. He knows even less than me as this is his first house. The inlet is the one with the thermostatic control and the return is the one you balance? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi thanks for that. Just double checking so I can ring him. He knows even less than me as this is his first house. The inlet is the one with the thermostatic control and the return is the one you balance? Thanks.
On most systems there's just the one with the control and a smaller one which is really just a stop valve.

Reaction score
Thinking back, the thermostatic valves usually have a small pin not much thicker than a darning needle that opens or closes the valve, when you turn the control. You can be turning the knob and nothing actually happens. It can get stuck in any position It is possible to access this (without water coming out) by removing the top part of the control. The pin is spring loaded and you can often free it up by just working it up and down with some sort of flat surface, (not your finger, it'll puncture it).

Ask a Question