Central Heating query

Reaction score
My house has an un-pressurised CH system (with a header tank) with a gas back boiler in the lounge. All radiators, except one upstairs on the landing, have thermostatic valves and there is no room thermostat. There is a 2-way valve that controls the hot water tank feed only. All radiators have been bled and the system has an inhibitor in the water.

It has always been noticeable that upstairs is cooler than downstairs - you feel the difference as you go the stairs - even if all thermostats are set to the same value. This year the difference is even more noticeable, to the extent that the thermostats in the lounge have been turned right down as it has been getting far too warm in there, whilst upstairs is more bearable for bedrooms. Is this normal, or symptomatic of some underlying problem?

Of particular concern this year is the spare bedroom which I use as an office, so I am in there a lot of the time. The radiator in there barely gets above luke-warm for much of the time, even if the valves are opened wide - yet the radiators either side on the system run OK. Bleeding it makes little or no difference and rarely yields any air anyway.

Any suggestions please?

Ask a Question