Cast iron fireplace painting project

Reaction score
This little problem is keeping me awake......I'm 38 weeks pregnant and decided this little project would keep me going for a couple of weeks!

We had a fireplace dipped and the plan was to paint it the colour of the metal/woodwork in the bedroom and install as a decorative feature.

Once back to the buffed metal I followed the advice of my DIY store and primed in with multi-purpose metal primer. After 24 hours I applied another coat. So far so good

Then my husband then decided to fill in a few gouges with filler.

Then 48hrs later I painted it with the same gloss paint I'd used in the bedroom 'Antique White for intererior Woods and metal'. Next thing, a rash of brown spots have appeared in two separate patches (where the filler was applied and around it.

I sanded these areas and tried again this time applying the same primer /undercoat used on the other interior wood/metal.

The spots are back and worse than ever now. I'm so gutted.

2 weeks til due date.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Polycell do a -no stains- product, which is high in pigment particles, this should cure your problem...bosshogg :)

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove water/rust stains from metal painted fire surround?

Ask a Question