Cantilever Type Pergola - Securing with post brackets?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I'm going to build a pergola. It's based on a 2 post style or cantilever type pergola. Will be 5 posts long. In other words, it's not a 4 post, or square or rectangle style pergola.

Each of the five posts will be 4x4's that are 7 feet above ground. Each post will be spaced approximately 6 fee apart for a total length along the ground of 24 feet, 6 inches.

It will have 4x4 beams that extend perpendicular from the top of the post, out 4 feet in length. Where they meet, they will be connected with a Simpson Strong-Tie APL4 on each side. I will also be placing 18 in x 18 in wood knee braces for support.

On top of those 4 foot extending beams, will be two 4x4 beams that go all the way across from post number one to post number 5. There will be two of these with one placed about 6 inches in from the vertical main posts and the other about 6 inches from the end of each of those extending beams. In other words, each of these two beams will be approximately 24 feet 6 inches long in total.

Lastly, on top of those two long beams, I will place 2x6's every 16 inches on center. Each of these will be approximately 6 feet in length and will start above the main vertical posts and extend out 6 feet. Meaning, these boards will extend out about 2 feet past the 4 in x 4 in x 4 feet beams.

All wood will be douglas fir.

My question is, will the Simpsom Strong-Tie APB44 post base, using their Outdoor Accents Structural Wood Screw's (4 for each post), provide enough strength laterally? Basically, to prevent this type of pergola from falling over from that attachment point? I'm not concerned about upward, or downward loads as there will not be anything hanging from this structure, and it will be mostly protected from any wind by our house.

The posts will be on top of an 8 inch x 3 foot hole, with concrete and a J concrete bolt to which the APB44 plate would be attached.

I'd rather use these decorative post anchors instead of simply placing the posts in concrete directly.

Would these APB44's provide enough strength to anchor this so called cantilever style pergola? Or are these type of anchor's really only supposed to be used for "4 post" style pergola's that are not cantilevered?

A very crude, incomplete (most 2x6's and the knee braces are missing), drawing is attached for a basic idea of what I'm looking to build.

Attachments

Reaction score
To be honest I got lost in the detail. I made mine more simply.

I accept yours would look good being self supporting, but my two posts don't get in the way as they are at the extreme ends.

This is the pergola I built over twenty years ago. (the photos are contemporary) . If I need to get on the flat roof of our lounge extension, it will easily take my weight. the whole thing is rock solid. It's treated softwood, but has had many coats of Dulux Mahogany wood stain over the years.
P1040330.JPG

It's 16ft long and has two 4" X 4" posts at each end. Two coach bolts pass through the top of the post connecting the main double front beams.

P1040310.JPG

The beams are 9" X 2". The cross beams are 4" X 2"

P1040329.JPG

As it's softwood. The feet of the posts are screwed to a small piece of concrete screwed to the patio. I made fine concrete"elephant's feet." There's a bead of silicone between the top of the concrete and the posts, to prevent ingress of water which might rot the wood.

P1020446.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply and for showing your project that looks great all these years later.

I think I'm going to go with 4x6 post's and just bury them in concrete, putting the crown in the direction of the load just for a little extra buffer against bending that direction. I may even add metal straps that extend down into the concrete. Coupled with the knee braces, this should last many years without issue.

Ask a Question