Can't find an outside wall!

Reaction score
Hi all.
I am installing an Ariston combi boiler in a flat over a shop. I'm not doing the gas work but I'm a plumber of 40 years experience. However, this one's flummoxing me.

The obvious place for the boiler is right in the middle of the flat, in a cupboard. Everything is sweet, an easy flue run up and out sideways, meeting all the measurement requirements. Between bathroom and kitchen so no long hot runs. Gas is already there. There's a soil pipe directly below so condensate is a doddle, through a HepV valve.

However, it's impossible to get the pressure relief to an outside wall in copper to meet building regs.

If it was a Vaillant, they do an external pressure relief kit, so you can disable the internal pressure relief valve and run the 15mm copper upwards and use an external 3 bar pressure relief valve. Nice!

However it's not, it's an Ariston, so no external kit available.

I'm thinking, my best plan is to put washers under the plunger head in the PRV to keep it open, run 15mm copper upwards and out where its visible on the roof and fit an external 3 bar PRV. Any reasons why I shouldn't? I'm not too worried about the warranty, it'll probably only last a couple of years anyway!

Cheers. Andy.

Reaction score
Manufacturers instructions are king and override everything else so if they say you can do it then it's ok try ringing them but as far as I know there is only Baxi that do a remote pressure blow off kit and it is linked into the system rather than the boiler.

The Vaillant Ecotec Instructions say that the blow off pipe should be as short as possible and installed with a continuous fall away from the boiler

I can only assume so that it does not have a head of water after the valve that could freeze or block up ?

Ask a Question