Bio-ethanol burner in plastered alcove

Reaction score
Hi - grateful for any advice please - I have recently purchased a bio-ethanol burner for a bit of extra warmth and for a fireplace effect without re-opening a chimney. It is a wood-burner style with circa 3kW output (about the same as a medium sized electric heater) and I absolutely love it. However, I have placed it in a fireplace alcove that had been plastered by the previous owners - there is only about 20cm clearance and I am worried about the heat on the plasterwork.

As it isn't really visible I tried sticking an aluminium foil heat reflecting sheet on the top of the alcove (one of those that you can place behind a radiator to reduce heat loss) - but the temperature was too great and it perished after a couple of weeks.

I am trying to find something that I could use as a heat protector (it really just above the airholes that it gets really hot - so don't need to cover an area much greater than 30cm * 30cm)... would tiling work, would some sort of glass or metal hob splashback, is there a heat resistant material that I could stick on or should I really get the plasterwork removed and fully replaced (which I am hoping not to have to do)...

As it is on the underside of the alcove i am not too worried about the look - just need the heat protection - grateful for any advice please

thanks in advance

Ask a Question