Bending Plastic Curtain Track

Reaction score
We've a curved bay window in our front room. We like to be able to draw the curtains off the window to get more light into the room.

So as well as the curve of the bay, the track has to execute a thirty and then a ninety degree bend within a couple of feet at each end.
This would normally be impossible, but you can put permanent bends in track with a hot air gun if you don't overheat and melt it. The bends can't be too tight either, as the sliders won't slide.

It's not that difficult to achieve.

P1020186.JPG

Reaction score
Careful lowish heat with a hot air gun is probably the best way, but too tight or too hot it's just going to kink or collapse.
It might be worth seeing if you could get a bit more distance between wall and track to increase the bend radius.
The old metal tracks were much easier to bend to a tight radius. But they were better in most respects - the runners had proper little wheels, all metal, never rotted in the sunlight. But like most things then, quality and reputation meant a lot more than cost. It's why I would never buy anything with Dyson in the name

Reaction score
Careful lowish heat with a hot air gun is probably the best way, but too tight or too hot it's just going to kink or collapse.
It might be worth seeing if you could get a bit more distance between wall and track to increase the bend radius.
The old metal tracks were much easier to bend to a tight radius. But they were better in most respects - the runners had proper little wheels, all metal, never rotted in the sunlight. But like most things then, quality and reputation meant a lot more than cost. It's why I would never buy anything with Dyson in the name
Err..

I did mention in my post.

///you can put permanent bends in track with a hot air gun if you don't overheat and melt it. The bends can't be too tight either, as the sliders won't slide.

Reaction score
A small tip from a longtime melter of plastic here, using a premade mold and working the material to the mold is useful.

Reaction score
From experience and I've posted photos to prove it. It isn't that hard with Swish "double track" rail. I wouldn't want to try it with anything less substantial. It only took a few minutes, even taking my time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A wipe on the track with WD40 makes a lot of difference to smooth operation Doghouse. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hi,

A wipe on the track with WD40 makes a lot of difference to smooth operation Doghouse. :)

Kind regards, Colin.
I'm not a lover of WD40 other than use as penetrating oil. I've read some horror stories where someone has used it on leaf switches and "wipers" on jukeboxes, making matters worse than the orginal contact problem. It also tends to be a bit messy.
What I use on track and similar items is a general purpose silicone lubricant. aerosol.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

WD40 would certainly be messy Doghouse if sprayed onto a curtain track but sprayed onto a cloth then giving the track a wipe with the cloth wouldn't be much different to using silicone lubricant? :)

I would never recommend WD40 be sprayed onto switch contacts for the reasons you rightly state; I use;

https://uk.farnell.com/servisol/sup...nGka1s3-XGx3yz357dyZkHRkzlTWZlXEaAu6OEALw_wcB

I do however like WD40 and often use it. We're all different and have our own preferences. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hi,

WD40 would certainly be messy Doghouse if sprayed onto a curtain track but sprayed onto a cloth then giving the track a wipe with the cloth wouldn't be much different to using silicone lubricant? :)

I would never recommend WD40 be sprayed onto switch contacts for the reasons you rightly state; I use;

https://uk.farnell.com/servisol/sup...nGka1s3-XGx3yz357dyZkHRkzlTWZlXEaAu6OEALw_wcB

I do however like WD40 and often use it. We're all different and have our own preferences. :)

Kind regards, Colin.
The Cope's "Solve.a.stick" I use isn't greasy. As an example, if you spray some on your fingers it just makes them smooth when you rub two together.

Ask a Question