2-pin shaver plug to 3-pin plug

Reaction score
I bought an electric toothbrush with an induction current charger. It arrived with a very poor-quality, shaver-type, 2-pin plug on it, which I can't really use in my house due to bathroom layout. I got it to charge once using an adaptor and an ordinary wall socket, but the connection was very dodgy.

So I decided to just replace the plug. One brown and one blue wire in there - nice and simple, right?

Nope. No joy, and I'm certain my wiring is ok. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the different setup of a shaver socket, but I'm pretty ignorant of these things.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Good Morning "Teagus"

Firstly, with reference to the 2 pin plug it came with; was it a British 2 pin (thicker and slightly different spacing to a continental one)?

If it was the British one, then it will fit in to a standard British shaver socket as fitted in most UK bathrooms. If you cannot use one of these sockets in the bathroom; then use a British adaptor (usual 3 pin 230v in, with a 2 pin socket for the appliance)

If the toothbrush has the continental plug; use an adaptor like the one in paragraph two, except that it is intended for visitors to the UK, and thus its socket is tailored for the slimmer continental plugs.

I,m not an electrician; however, you could try reversing the wires on the plug you have found not to be working.

Ask a Question