Wood flooring DPM conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working towards laying a new engineered wood floor on the ground floor of my 70s property.

Currently, from ground up there is concrete slab, under an old damp proof membrane, under a self leveling compound finish.

The floor is generally quite cold so I am planning on fitting 10mm XPS boards (which I have already) under the wood floor. We choose XPS as it had a better tog rating than a standard hard floor underlay.

However reading the guidance for wood flooring it recommends using a foil backed underlay which prevents damp.

This has also raised questions about existing DPM. Although we've had no signs of damp on this floor I couldn't guarantee whether it is complete and sealed. The carpet and underlay which was there for many years is in great condition. I don't want to replace existing flooring but I do want to do want I can now to ensure there is minimal risk of damp.

So these are the options I'm thinking about.

1. Lay XPS boards and then a foil backed under on top before laying the wood.

2. Lay polythene DPM under the XPS boards and then the wood.

3. Do nothing more and just fit the XPS and wood floor.

What would you do?

Could either if these have some problem?

Thank you kindly for reading and for any responses.

Andrew

Last edited:

Ask a Question