Using existing deck footings...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would it be possible to get approval to use existing footings from an old deck that's about to be removed and replaced with a new one? A cursory view of the footings show that they are structurally sound, with no visual spalling. The depth of the footings are my primary concern since that's one of the main inspection areas.

The new deck is different in dimensions (smaller), but will be able to take advantage of the current configuration of some of the footings from the prior deck. .

Is there a minimally obtrusive way to measure depth of an existing footing that can prove the footing reaches the frost line? If I dig out too much around the existing footing, it then in turn becomes unstable, and I think would defeat the purpose of reusability.

Thanks.

Reaction score
In my opinion, not worth much, would be that if the original footings never settled much, they are probably better than putting in new so long as there has been no deterioration. But........if there is an inspection required, I am not sure how you could convince an inspector the footings meet current codes. Doing new would obviously give you exactly what is needed but it understandable not wanting to fix something that ain't broke. Maybe call the inspection department and get some input? I can probably predict how that will go. But I just had another thought. Depending on what you are doing, the extent of work.......how much of a permit do you need? What if you indicte you are simply 'redecking'? Maybe that saves some work?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Id try digging out one of those existing footings wouldn't you have planned to use anyways. Observe it as a test pole.

How old is the house's deck footings?

The thing with footings, is if one footing yields (gives way), it's in indication some others MAY too be deteriorating and would eventually require replacement. But an ENTIRE deck does not plummet to the ground on upon the footing. To, footings are in the ground.....they can bend a little, maybe sink a little, but they don't break and suddenly loose ALL that capacity.

Anyways, that's my 2cents.

Best of Luck with that!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm surprised that renovation and repair of an existing deck would be of any concern to "the authorities". If you were just replacing one board, for example, surely that wouldn't trigger inspections?

Ask a Question