Subsidence?

Reaction score
Hello

Not sure if the right place or not but need to ask someone!

A crack has appeared in the wooden door frame above my door. It's a long thin diagonal crack that 'steps' down. It's no more that 2-3mm wide at the very most.

There's no sign of any cracks anywhere around the brick work in the immediate area or in the house in general. There's nothing on the internal walls either.

House is approx 15 years old and was underpinned 10 years ago...where movement was first spotted around the external doors so am a bit twitchy.

If someone could please advise that would be great as don't know whether to contact insurance provider to get it checked out or if I'm overacting and is just split wooden frame.

Thanks in advance-am feeling very stressed and this is just another stressor to the mix!

Reaction score
Hi Brunette
Difficult to say without more info, so, the bast thing would be to get this properly checked out. It may only be seasonal movement, but that can only be verified by inspection.

Reaction score
I'm pleased you provided those pics. As I see it those cracks are only in the wood, and may be just shrinkage. There's no indication of any structural problem. So, no need to worry. I suggest you do absolutely nothing to fill, or repaint the frame just yet, you may well see changes with the seasons.

Reaction score
Yep I agree with John. I have seen that before and it's just the wood drying out.

Ask a Question