Steam Iron silicone between soleplate and heating element?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have open an old steam iron (one which have a separated water tank) and i am trying to do a maintenance on it. Between the soleplate and the element there is some kind of silicone paste that is dried by years and is destroyed in several places so the iron is loosing steam from sides. Does anybody knows what adhesive or silicone paste i can use to replace this paste?

Thanks

Reaction score
You are probably looking for the products that are easily found in an auto parts store. A variety of heat resistant sealants, siliconized and otherwise are available. But it may be a heat transfer medium such as the heat sink paste used to establish the thermal connection between a powerful computer chip and the heat sink vanes and fan that sit atop it.

Reaction score
thanks for your reply.
I can understand what you mean, that is why i am asking if there is any special product that can seal and don't affect the heat transfer. The iron was with some kind of sealant also but due to years the sealant is destroyed. I will try to put the minimum sealant required so just to seal the sides and don't have the steam escape from the sides instead of the bottom holes.

Ask a Question