Shed sinking - please help tell me how to prop it up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello forum! First time post here.

I am a fairly handy amateur carpenter and had a builder come around to replace the floor in my shed, which was very rotted with wood worm (it was the removal that I couldn't do, as the rot creaped me out).

While his construction method was good, he made a very very bad mistake. The previous beams under the floor extended under the walls. He removed these, but the new beams ended about half a cm before the walls, creating a floating floor, so that he could wrap waterproof lining all the way around the edges.

So, obviously, the shed is now slowly sinking, as there's nothing holding up the walls except the facia. There's about a 5cm drop so far.

Underneath the new floor he installed is a basic concrete slab under the whole shed, which appears very level.

I intend to take the new floor out, fix the walls, and put the floor back in, and here's where I need the advice:

I need some hind of technique or tool to prop the walls up a bit at a time and then something to rest the walls back down. Presumably I can just stack bricks?

Anyone have any advise as to:
A. If bricks are the best thing to use or
B. How on earth I can prop the shed up to begin with, to fit something underneath it?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Kindest,
Max

Reaction score
How hard would it be to completely dismantle the shed and start again?
Trying to lever up sides, could cause more damage.

Ideally, if you've a concrete base the best way to reconstruct it is to have piers a couple of bricks high in half a dozen places on the base and put 3" x 2" or better 3" x 4" beams on them and build the floor up on that attaching the sides to the outside beams, so that no part of the shed touches the ground.

I built this shed that way out of reclaimed roofing ply, soft wood and some reclaimed window frames.

I took this photo after I replaced the roofing felt two years ago. There's no rot anywhere in the shed.

I built it in 1976.

P1020443.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
Thanks for the advice; I think some of that will work, but it's waaaay too involved to take apart. And attached to the neighbour's shed!

What I can't figure out is what to use to prop it up to begin with. Just a car jack? Is there a better way?

Kindest,
Max

Reaction score
Hello forum! First time post here.

I am a fairly handy amateur carpenter and had a builder come around to replace the floor in my shed, which was very rotted with wood worm (it was the removal that I couldn't do, as the rot creaped me out).

While his construction method was good, he made a very very bad mistake. The previous beams under the floor extended under the walls. He removed these, but the new beams ended about half a cm before the walls, creating a floating floor, so that he could wrap waterproof lining all the way around the edges.

So, obviously, the shed is now slowly sinking, as there's nothing holding up the walls except the facia. There's about a 5cm drop so far.

Underneath the new floor he installed is a basic concrete slab under the whole shed, which appears very level.

I intend to take the new floor out, fix the walls, and put the floor back in, and here's where I need the advice:

I need some hind of technique or tool to prop the walls up a bit at a time and then something to rest the walls back down. Presumably I can just stack bricks?

Anyone have any advise as to:
A. If bricks are the best thing to use or
B. How on earth I can prop the shed up to begin with, to fit something underneath it?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Kindest,
Max
can you send a few pictures of the shed both inside and out,, i would need this to see where a jack could be placed and do you the most good and safely.

Ask a Question