Replacing Rotten Fence Post

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the recent Windy weather, part of our fence blew over. Thankfully it was only a spur from the perimeter fence which acts as a "bin bay" for the wheelie bins.

The posts are 3x6" and were rotten in the concrete base, plus several inches above where it snapped. I cut off the rotten wood from the panel, plus a little extra:

DSC_0165.JPG

Here's what the post holes look like, one of which is cleaned up to a depth of around 8":

DSC_0163.JPG

How would you recommend repairing this? I've got zero experience when it comes to fence repair, so wanted to check in before starting work. I've purchased some replacement 3x6" treated timber, which I could theoretically fit straight back into the post hole - but I'd be wary about it rotting again so quickly.

Would I be better off chiselling away some of the existing concrete around the hole and then re-setting the post in that with new concrete? I'd guess that would be the way to do it, but perhaps there is something I'm missing.

Reaction score
Hi Ian

Shame conventional square section posts haven't been used. New timber should be pre-treated against rot. Easy to obtain as standard post section timber. I would definitely expect to go down a lot more than 8 inches, more like 2 feet, and concrete in, possibly using something like Postcrete.
There could be other ways of getting round this one, but not easy with those existing timbers.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers John. Yep, it would have been so much easier if they'd stuck to convention as I'd have just used a post spike or bolt-down!

Getting down 8" was pretty hard going as the working space was so small, only 16" more to go... :eek:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Job done now, knocked out base and filled with some postcrete - just need to replace a bit of the side cladding and get it painted :).

Just in the nick of time too, as it's been frosty every morning since!

Ask a Question