New Dishwasher no previous wiring.

Reaction score
I have to install a dishwasher to a outlet/ switch that is, and still will be used for garbage disposal. Have no clue how to do this. Looked online can't find anything. Any help or links i can get with detailed instructions are greatly appreciated.
Electrical is not my strongpoint.

Reaction score
First you need to determine if the circuit can handle having both a dishwasher and garbage disposal on it. You can check the DW and GD for the actual wattage but in general a DW pulls about 1200 watts and a GD pulls between 500-950 watts. A 15 amp circuit is rated for a maximum of 1800 watts, a 20 amp circuit is rated for a maximum of 2400 watts. Normally a DW and GD are placed on dedicated circuits. You also need to make sure the box can handle the additional wire. Your junction box needs to be able to accommodate 20.25 cubic inches for this application (this assumes 12 gauge wire and one switch). Most single gang boxes are between 18-20 cubic inches.

As far as the wiring (this assumes you can safely run both off the same circuit); run a jumper from the common (black wire) that is supplying power to the switch (you will need to make a pig tail and send one wire back to the switch and tie the other into the DW common). Tie your neutral (white) and ground (bare copper) into the existing neutral and ground pig tails. Make sure you use a crimp on the ground wire pig tail to hold them together. Use red twist caps ( or caps rated for your application, whatever you use they should be capable of handling 3 - 12 gauge wires) for all the other pig tails.

Ultimately if wiring is not your strong suit then I would highly recommend you consult or hire an electrician to do this work. I would also highly recommend running a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher and not tapping into an existing circuit. One additional consideration for you will be what the manufacture calls for as far as wiring; many hardwired appliances call for a dedicated line to supply the appliance, failure to provide such wiring will void the warranty and/or may cause damage to the appliance.

Reaction score
First you need to determine if the circuit can handle having both a dishwasher and garbage disposal on it. You can check the DW and GD for the actual wattage but in general a DW pulls about 1200 watts and a GD pulls between 500-950 watts. A 15 amp circuit is rated for a maximum of 1800 watts, a 20 amp circuit is rated for a maximum of 2400 watts. Normally a DW and GD are placed on dedicated circuits. You also need to make sure the box can handle the additional wire. Your junction box needs to be able to accommodate 20.25 cubic inches for this application (this assumes 12 gauge wire and one switch). Most single gang boxes are between 18-20 cubic inches.

As far as the wiring (this assumes you can safely run both off the same circuit); run a jumper from the common (black wire) that is supplying power to the switch (you will need to make a pig tail and send one wire back to the switch and tie the other into the DW common). Tie your neutral (white) and ground (bare copper) into the existing neutral and ground pig tails. Make sure you use a crimp on the ground wire pig tail to hold them together. Use red twist caps ( or caps rated for your application, whatever you use they should be capable of handling 3 - 12 gauge wires) for all the other pig tails.

Ultimately if wiring is not your strong suit then I would highly recommend you consult or hire an electrician to do this work. I would also highly recommend running a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher and not tapping into an existing circuit. One additional consideration for you will be what the manufacture calls for as far as wiring; many hardwired appliances call for a dedicated line to supply the appliance, failure to provide such wiring will void the warranty and/or may cause damage to the appliance.
Thank you. I want to run a dedicated line, but I have to do as I'm told with these matters. You wouldn't have a link on a video doing this would you?
Either way thanks again. At least I have something to go by now.
Going to do my bio on here later in the week. Might shed some light on my situation.

Reaction score
You're welcome. Sorry, I don't have a video link. Hopefully this picture will give you an idea of how to grab the power. The only difference from this and what you are doing is you won't have the outlet and the other end goes to the GD instead of a light. You will just have the supply line going into the box on the dishwasher.

Reaction score
You're welcome. Sorry, I don't have a video link. Hopefully this picture will give you an idea of how to grab the power. The only difference from this and what you are doing is you won't have the outlet and the other end goes to the GD instead of a light. You will just have the supply line going into the box on the dishwasher.
Thank you that is going to help tremendously

Reaction score
Well none of the breakers were marked, seen what they all controlled, and man it was unreal. So I ran a dedicated one. First time I had done anything like that. Was even going to hire an electrician but he flaked out on me last minute.
So I had no choice but to do it. Everything went fine.
Except that since this was all new to me I didn't connect the brackets to the counter,in case something went wrong. They snapped when I tried to put em on

Ask a Question