Making a removable wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a wooden floor that is fairly easy to remove if we move house. I really want a parquet floor, but I don’t want to glue the pieces down in a way that will make it difficult to take with me as this house is only temporary (1-2 years maybe). My initial idea was to glue the pieces onto hardboards to make them into larger sort of tongue and groove style boards but I don’t know if this would work. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

Reaction score
Hi and welcome

It seems a lot of effort for just a couple of years.
At the moment you don't know what size will be the room you will eventually need the flooring when you move. So the first "how long is a piece iof string?" question is, "How much extra material do you need to buy, if the room will be larger than the present one?"
The chances of you getting more to match at a later date, won't be that great. You'll also end up with a lot of short pieces from around the edge of the room.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea. But it's not something I'd do for such a short time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the response. They are good points. I have a huge sack of reclaimed parquet pieces that can cover 60m2. The room I want to use it for is just less than 30m2 so I can store the rest. I know it might not be the most economical thing to do time wise if we don’t stay long but, is it possible? If I still want the floor to be removable in case I want to lay underfloor heating (or want access to maintain underfloor heating) or whatever. What would I need to know/do to make it work?

Ask a Question