Looking for water filtration ideas.

Reaction score
I am just looking for ideas here which I might be able to implement at the cabin to improve the water we get.

The scenario is this: Our water source is a river which has a waterfall. We draw from the top of the waterfall into a barrel using a coanda screen. The water then moves through pipes into a holding tank situated up the hill. It is a gravity fed system that had no power source available. The holding tank settles the water a bit but it can get drawn down if several of the users are watering (we have awesome water pressure). Behind the cabin we have a two filter system to remove debris. A course screen is the first and a foam tube is the second and catches finer stuff. They are two tubes through which the water flows - about a foot long.

The problem is that the filters behind the house are frequently needing replacement or cleaning. I am wondering if there is a better system for removing particulate matter and pine needles that would require less maintenance.

Reaction score
You mentioned that your two filters only remove debris. How often are you replacing the filters? It's natural for a filter to need replacement periodically. You can get a filter that suits your water intake and would need to be replaced infrequently. Since you're in Canada check out https://www.filterbutler.com/water-filters/whole-house-water-filter/ as an option for filtration that ensures your water is safe.

If you haven't gotten your water tested you should do so for your own safety and see whether you need an additional level of filtration. Check out http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/water-eau/drink-potab/guide/index-eng.php for info.

Ask a Question