I've Saved Myself Eighteen Quid.

Reaction score
We've had a push on/off and turn dimmer switch controlling the ceiling spotlights in the kitchen since I changed it about ten years ago. About eleven O'Clock last night, my wife said it wouldn't turn on and she was right. Pushing the knob in you should hear a "click" as the swich operated and it didn't. I said I'd look at it in the morning. I suspected the latching part of it had broken.
I checked on-line for the price of a new one in brushed steel and it was eighteen quid.

Anyway I was about to take it off this morning, when I noticed the nut that secures the knob and switch to the backplate was loose. So I tightened it up and the switch worked again. Because it was loose before, you couldn't push the switch in far enough for it to operate. I guess with constant use of the dimmer function, the knob as it was turned had undone the nut a few turns.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your reply Doghouse Riley. :)

I thought perhaps you might have come from Yorkshire having such a good grip on money? :D

You'll find the climate up here a bit different from the climate in Surrey? We used to live in The West Riding Of Yorkshire but now its just West Yorkshire; things keep changing don't they?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
In a former occupation I moved around the country every couple of years, I've worked in;
Worcester but we lived in Malvern,
Portsmouth, we lived in Waterlooville,
Wrexham, we lived in Marford,
Sheffield, we lived in Dore
Rochdale, we lived in Bamford.

Then I changed jobs as the moving was getting too much for the family and we bought this house.
We've three kids, one lives in Staines another in Canary Wharf and the third ten minute away from us

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's doubly satisfying when things can be fixed like this :D.

Ask a Question