insulating sloping extension roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

I had an extension done a few years ago and I have some spot lights inside on a sloping ceiling.

The extension has a sloping roof/ceiling and there is insulated plasterboard and then a void of approx 12cm before you hit the roofing membrane and the tiles. Most of the void has the kingspan stuff wedged between the joists, but the builders left gaps where the lights were going, so I have 10 spotlights which now also act as conduits for cold air. It is really annoying in winter when you are sitting there watching TV and there is a downdraught of cold air all the time.

The current lights have cans on them which are about 10cm long and they are vented. I have seen some spotlights which measure just 50mm deep and with unvented cans, so i was thinking of swapping out my old lights for the new smaller ones.

I was thinking of filling the gaps in the insulation as best I can, with either expanding foam or fibreglass insulation, and then putting some adhesive (or perhaps some strips of say 3mm draught excluding foam) on the back of the light fascia flanges so that it forms a seal between the light fascia flange and the ceiling.

If using expanding foam, I'm hoping that the expanding foam would adhere to the back of the insulated plasterboard, so once I had cut a recess into the set foam for the light can, it would form a sort of sealed dome around the back of the light.

With the fibreglass option, even if the fibreglass insulation didn't do a great deal, the seal between the light unit and the ceiling, and the fact that the light unit is unvented should hopefully stop any draughts.

I could also remove the spotlights and go for surface mounted lights, filling in the holes. This would be my least preferred option as it would require quite a bit of work to fill in all the holes and get them sanded and painted so that they aren't obvious. Also, if I went for this option, I'd still like to fill in the gaps in the insulation using either the expanding foam or fibreglass options described above.

I would be grateful for any feedback on the above.

Thanks,

Mike.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should add that the only access I have is through the holes cut out for the lights...unless I start taking roofing tiles off and cutting through the roofing membrane!

Ask a Question