Installing a bigger radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to replace my 600mm high x 900mm length radiator in my living room as it's too small. I have another type 22 double walled and 200mm longer to achieve the desired BTU. Only one problem. I have no experience in extending pipework... Luckily for me the existing pipework runs about ground.... Its a 15mm copper pipe I believe but has 2 'L' bends.... So how do you actually extend the pipe and what would I need to do the job myself.?.. I am a novice but I can isolate and remove radiators..Thankyou

Reaction score
Country
United States
So you arent changing the length of pipe nor the location. You must use the same quality pipe. Pretty simple.

Your only other is changing the radiator size. That would change the volume of the whole system. You might have effect of reaching steam or failing to do so - that depends on what kind of system your running. Some need steam and in some steam is dangerous.

You should replace it with the original size and get a space heater if that's not quite enough for a particular room.

You'll have to "purge the system" (ie, of air, of water, of pressure, for filling) before and after the job - as well as insuring the (boiler) is off and cooled down. If it shares with the house: then you'll have to insure all your work is completed so your toilets aren't off for longer than ... a few hours.

I would pay a pro "for a non-free inspection", say $150, before you turn it on. Worth it if you "only have enough skills to work on the pipe". You should call ahead before you start the work.

Last edited:

Ask a Question