Help with gas fire

Reaction score
  1. I have a gas fire installed in my house. It is a flame effect gas fire with a side power flue. It stopped working a little while ago the pilot light wouldnt stay lit. Recently I have more time on my hands and am also selling up so thought I wd look at fixing the fire. I was assuming I would need to replace the thermocouple. So today I flicked the fan switch and.... Nothing. Also the gas cock was unmoveable. Anyway I took the cage off and the fan cover ( on outside of outside wall). Messing with fan I eventually managed to free it up and get it spinning. So put it back together. Next freed off the stop cock with pliers. So went to light fire and .... Nothing!

Pilot light won't even light, no gas. So either solenoid is not opening or pilot feed is blocked. Questions: do sole lids tend to jam? The fact that the cock was so stiff ( next to solenoid) suggests to me that perhaps the solenoid valve is also jammed. When I turn flue on, it powers up then after about 30 sec the solenoid clicks loudly, the fan slows but then clicks again and the fan goes to full speed. I think I remember that when it was all working the fan used to run at a lower speed after the click.

I am wondering if the solenoid could be clicking but actually remaining closed or maybe the pressure switch in the fan box is also somehow seized.

Opinions and theories would be very welcome... Also if anyone is keen on helping near Bstoke that wd be great...

Reaction score
Hi DIYer9
Sorry, but DIY work on gas appliances is a big no-no. You must use a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Reaction score
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. I'm not breaking any gas lines and am fully aware of the regulations. I was asking for thoughts and opinions, I'm not going to break or remake any joints in the gas supply.

Thanks again for the reply and for your concern

Ask a Question