Hardwood window placed directly in cement

Reaction score
hello,

I would like a confirmation if this way of working is correct or incorrect.. Our builder placed a hardwood window in the gap that was in the wall ( old stone farmhouse) and filled cement around all sides and that is it. Besides the fact it is not level I assume this is not sufficient?

I would like some solid arguments if this is not the correct way so I can confront him with them.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
The window should have been installed level and plumb, this is industry standard. If the framing was altered or cut away a proper header should have been installed supported by jack studs. The size of the header and number of jack studs are determined by the bearing load (number of stories supported, plus roof, plus snow load for your area). A lintel should have been installed above the opening to support the stone above the window. Gaps around the window should have been insulated with either open cell foam or loose fill fiberglass insulation. The outside can be filled with mortar to match the stone grout (mortar).

Ask a Question