Garden Wall Light - not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Wondering if someone can help me with this mystery.

I want to install a new garden wall light.

There is a pre-existing junction box which is wired coming from the wall to a switch, which controls an existing wall light elsewhere. It has live, earth, neutral, and a switch wire.

I have mounted the new wall light and wired it into this junction box to share the live, earth and neutral via a connector block, but the lamp will not work.

I have double checked the connections and can detect power running through the new wire to the new lamp with a testing wand. I have also checked the bulb to ensure it works.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Attached is a diagram of the setup.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am an electrician.

From your drawing, it would appear your light has no neutral. Either the RED or the BLUE will be a switchleg, that is, it is energized ONLY when the switch is on. From your drawing, the yellow (from the junction box) will be your neutral.

#1 - Connect the yellow to the "neutral" lead coming from the back of your light. If the wires are colored (on the back of your light), it should be either a white or a blue.

#2 - Connect the red to the "line" lead coming from the back of your light. If the wires are colored (on the back of your light), it should be either a black or a brown. Cap the blue off (unused).

#3 - If the light comes, but does NOT go off, remove the red wire above (point #2) and replace it with the blue. Cap the red off (unused).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, thank you for your reply! I have since solved the issue by wiring it to another wall light which was conveniently also near the switch junction box.

However, wow, I never considered the yellow could be the neutral. The yellow showed a wand reading only when the switch was on (I left the butt connector intact so never got a direct reading). I had assumed this was a switch wire which would act as live when on. (Breaking the live was also how I wired a safety cut off mushroom switch for a shed, so I assumed this was the same.)

On taking readings, only the live to earth produced a voltage, so I took it to mean perhaps only the live and switch wires were functional in that junction wiring and moved on.

Appreciate the reply!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your Welcome. The neutral will produce a false "live" reading with those inductive testers that your using. REASON: The live conductor's energy is flowing through the load and back down the neutral when the load is off or on. The neutral will produce a "live" reading when the current is NOT flowing.

Anyways, I'm glad you got it figured out.

Ask a Question