Fan to cool stairwell in loft extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a typical London terrace and we had the loft converted. When the sun is out it gets pretty warm up there, even with windows open. Due to low ceiling heights we can't put in a ceiling fan but I was thinking of a corner fan that could sit in the stairwell. This is because on still days having the Velux and other windows up top doesn't do much without a breeze.

The thinking is that it would help circulate the air in summer and winter by getting it flowing as the ground floor and 2nd floor are often very different temperatures. Does anyone have experience of doing this, is it likely to work or will it not do much?

Reaction score
Lofts in this weather, lots of sun heat up rapidly and do at times get very warm, having surveyed and worked in loads of summer heated lofts it is like working in an oven.

There are [expensive] to install, and disruptive, heat recovery systems that vary in what they can and cannot do as regards moving the warm air from the loft into the rest of the property.

I think some experiments with a fan or fans could??? move the warm loft air into the rest of the property??

One experiment could be, instead of blowing the warm air down from the loft. try blowing air into the loft to see if it can displace the warmer air into the upper areas of the house???

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks that's a good suggestion to try to move it up the stairwell, though design may limit the fan I can put in. It seems like it'd be fairly cheap and simple to install a fan and experiment with it moving the air.

It really can like an oven -I have a portable air con unit but I still have to be able to expel the hot air. I wish I installed proper air conditioning when it was built as now it's a bit more of a pain to retro fit.

Ask a Question