Extending Ring Main - converting 1 socket to 3

Reaction score
As you may have seen from a previous thread, I was planning to add a spur to an existing socket, but on reflection it would be better if I were able to get 3 sockets.

At the moment, I have a single 20mm conduit channel from the ceiling which contains 2 x T&E cable and connects to a double socket. My thinking was to add a 4 way conduit box, splitting the existing cables either side of the existing socket to connect to two more double sockets, then connect each of these back to the existing socket. Effectively extending the ring.

Can anyone see any problems with this? I've not done it like this before, but can't see why there would be a problem.

OLD:

Code:
      ||
      ||
      ||
     [**]
NEW:

Code:
           ||
           ||
           ||
      =====+=====
    [**]  [**]  [**]

Reaction score
Just a thought... it's proving hard to find a 4-way white conduit box (white) near me, so is there anything wrong with keeping the main conduit channel running down to the central double socket, then using this to route the two T&E cables, one out of the left and right of the pattress (then completing the ring with more cable back down the same side conduits to the central socket).

Reaction score
Hi spork

Providing you are sure the existing socket forms part of the ring, remove one of the cables, and extend to the first new one using Wagos or similar in the back box/pattress. From there to the second new one, and finally back to the existing socket. The ring is now complete, and only one joint used.
I hope this answers it, and I'm not misunderstanding you.

Ask a Question