Exposed Wood Shower Floating Bench

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey,

So we just had our basement finished. The contractor did a floating bench in the shower. After doing some cleaning I noticed that the underside of the bench is just exposed 2x4's still. They claimed to have applied 3 coats of redgard. There is at least one because all the wood on the underside is clearly red, but I have no way to verify they actually did 3 coats. Contractor is claiming this is fine and that this alone is enough of a water proof barrier on the lumber. The shelf is set far back from the head and shouldn't have any splashing or bounce back of water from the shower head but this still strikes me as a lazy, corner cutting solution. Don't get why the underside wasn't tiled or at least cement board put over the lumber than apply regard to that. Think they just thought we'd never look under there honestly.

Am I being paranoid or is 3 coats of redgard on 2x4's enough of a protection on the underside of this shower bench? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK my curiosity got the better of me.

As you can see I live in Scotland and have never heard of " redgard " so did a web search to find the following

If from this distance and in complete ignorance of the possibility of a similar suitable product for timber???

The web link as above, appears to be for use on stone, concrete, gypsum plaster, not timber?

Given that timber will expand and contract especially in a wet environment, and the redgard appears to be formulated for stone Etc. I do not follow why such a product was used.

Unless there is a similar named product for timber.

Ken

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are correct. You are supposed to apply this product and then tile over it.

My contractor's response to me questioning this was "we used 3 coats of it. It's fine"

It blows my mind that he thinks its actually ok to leave exposed lumber in a shower, even if it does have 3 coats of redgard. Makes me concerned to find other corners that have been cut in his work. I really think he just never thought I would look under the bench.

Ask a Question