Dog House Insulation Air Gap

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm currently building an insulated dog house and have just finished the frame. The frame has a 35mm gap in all the walls to allow for insulation. I'm unsure of how necessary it is to include an air gap / vapour barrier. The house is mainly for Melbourne Australia winter where it gets to roughly 10 degrees Celsius.

I'm looking at using foilboard insulation which has a foil vapour barrier on one side.

Currently I'm thinking I'll use 25mm foilboard with a 10mm air gap on the inside edge with the foil facing the inside also.

I read its recommended to leave an air gap of roughly 25mm but I feel like its more important to have more insulation in this situation.

Another alternative is stacking 20 and 15mm foilboard sheets together and have no air gap. In this situation which side should I face the foil?
The single 25mm foilboard option is cheaper so I'm leaning toward that unless this is a better option.

I'm also concerned with ventilation. I'm making a magnetic sealed dog flap. I was thinking I'd caulk a lot of the plywood edges and make it mostly sealed to keep the heat in also. Will this mean a vapour barrier is more important in this situation? The roof won't perfectly seel as its hinged, will this allow enough moderate ventilation?

Ask a Question