Damaged A/C unit. What do I really need to replace?

Reaction score
I have a 20 year old York Furnace and A/C. The A/C unit was damaged badly by hail this past spring. My insurance will cover the cost of the A/C unit only and nothing else "period". I was told I should replace the A/C unit, Furnace, evaporator coil and thermostat at the same time. they have told me the new A/C unit will end up ruining the old furnace and coil.
So I need your advice to know what should I really replace?

Reaction score
Evening jeem999,
It probably would be better to replace both units but I dont see why you would have to change the inside part of the unit if it is in good shape. The only thing that might be a issue would be the effenciy of the unit.

Reaction score
A 20 year old A/C uses R-22 refrigerant. The new A/C units use R-410a refrigerant. A new condenser will not work with the old evaporator coil unless you get a "dry nitrogen" R-22 unit, which are very hard to find now. It's been my experience that by the time you pay for the refrigerant and higher cost on the R-22 unit, you're within a couple hundred dollars of the R-410a system. R-22 is harder to get and more expensive as the EPA is phasing it out, so future serviceability is an issue. The line set can be re-used. The furnace can also, it will NOT ruin it. However, being 20 years old, it is time to replace the furnace anyway, and you will save some installation cost by doing it at the same time as the A/C coil. If the line set is easily replaced, it's not a bad idea to do it too. Otherwise, it can be flushed out. Your insurance company should pay for all of the A/C unit (outdoor condenser and indoor evaporator coil), as technically there isn't a viable replacement for only the condenser. DO NOT let anyone tell you it's OK to put a R-410a condenser onto a R-22 evaporator coil.

Reaction score
Yeah, the pressures of R-410a are much higher than R-22. Typical suction pressure = 105 PSI and head pressure = 400 PSI. The tubing in a R-22 evaporator is not thick enough to withstand the pressure. Not to mention, the expansion device would be wrong, whether it was a fixed orifice or a thermostatic expansion valve. The line set is much thicker than the evaporator tubing, so can withstand the pressure. R410a also uses POE oil like R-134a, instead of mineral or AB oil that R-22 uses.

Reaction score
Talk to a HVAC contractor or contractors you feel you can trust / do business with . You may be able to work out a deal so the insurance company pays for the outside / condenser unit ( new R410a ) and you pay for a new furnace & A-Coil ?

You will probably end up with a more energy efficient system & save some $$$ on electricity .

God bless
Wyr

Ask a Question