Crossing copper pipe with conduit?

Reaction score
I'm adding a spur to an existing socket in my garage, however there is a vertical copper water pipe which crosses the route that I would be running conduit across (for the electrical cable).

What would be the preferred method of crossing the copper pipe? Is a short portion of flexible conduit to "jump" the copper pipe acceptable? As the copper pipe runs from ground to ceiling, I'm unable to route around it.

Reaction score
Conduit is made to be bent to take care of these type of problems . With a conduit bender .

This is one of the trade skills that an electrician must learn / knows and uses routinely .

A DIY'er can buy factory made bends that he can piece together with couplings . May not look as good as a nice bend made by an electrical .

Or you could just use armored cable or flex the whole length ( with appropriate grounding and strapping ) .

If metal touches the copper pipe , insulate one from the other , to help avoid electrolysis .

God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
Thank you WyrTwister and sorry for the slow reply! I went ahead with the flexible conduit and it works great.

Ask a Question