Cracks in filler of wooden floor

Reaction score
I have a problem with my new wooden floor. It was installed as big pieces of wood (98 feet by 5 inches) and about 0.5 inch thick. Between the pieces of wood there are some gaps and they put some kind of a filler in between. The filler is cracked as soon as it is all dry and painted. I am planning to redo the floor myself. Thus sanding the floor and getting rid of the filler. Then put new filler in. Any suggestions on how to get the filler out and what kind of filler to use?

I have attached 2 pictures of a closeup of thee filler with cracks. I don't know what kind of filler it is.

Thanks,

Peter

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where abouts in the world are you based, just so we know which products may be available in your area.

Personally, I'd get whoever installed it to come and take a look - after all, you paid them to do a job. However, if you want to remove the filler you may be able to just rake it out with a decorators multi-tool. It looks like it's dried out and cracked, so it'll likely come away very easily (just be careful not to damage the flooring):

https://www.toolstation.com/prep-premier-heavy-duty-multi-tool-scraper/p22287

I'm not sure what I'd recommend to fill it again, other than something a little more flexible.

Reaction score
Hi, I am located in Thailand. The house is in the north in the mountains of chiang mai. I just don't think the people who did it are able to do it better. By now, I did refil it and where the old filler was easy to take out I took it out. Will next brush it and paint it.

Interesting tool, haven't seen that here.

Thanks,

Peter

Ask a Question