Cleaning used glass blocks

Reaction score
I got what I believe is a good deal on a big batch of used glass blocks to use on a bathroom project (use for a shower wall to let in some light).

The blocks are in good condition but need cleaning. For the most part only some have small bits of mortar remaining which comes off easily with a dip in some muriatic acid. But the thing that seems odd to me is that the blocks seem to have what I could best describe as something that looks like clear packing tape on the mortar surfaces. A sort of mortar film remains on the 'tape'.

A short diluted ammonia soak loosens the tape substance with not much effort (scrapes off with an old credit card) and I think an overnight soak will make it come off very easily.

My question is what is this tape looking stuff? I thought the blocks would be just bare glass? Is this a special type of block or a specific manufacturer's twist on the block?

Anybody have experience in easily cleaning these up? The ammonia cleans off the adhesive but is there a better method?

Thanks

Ask a Question