Building a garden gate

Reaction score
Hi, I`m new to this forum, so hope that I am posting in the correct section.
I would like to build a gate to the side of our house to block the driveway.
I am mainly doing this to stop our two year old boy escaping every five minutes, also for security.
I can attach a post on one side to the house, so height isn`t an issue, but on the other side, the wall is only about a metre high and not particularly strong, so I don`t really want it to bear any weight, so for this reason, I can only have a single gate.IWe have got block paving, so sinking the posts isn`t an option.
I have decided to build it from featherboard, and would ideally like to have it 1.8m high or thereabouts, the height of the boards, it means it would have block off the view, and also save me from doing any cutting !
My concern is the fact that the gate will have to be hung one side and also quite wide at about three metres, I want to make sure that over time it won`t sink/collapse on the unhung side.
Does anybody have any plans that I can use, or give me some guidance how I can make sure the gate is strong enough and stays in shape.
Thanks

Reaction score
You’r creating problems for yourself by taking this approach. Do yourself a favour, raise a small are of the block paving, concrete in a steel post and refit the paving around it. Then install double gates.

Reaction score
For the security reason you have to repair the other wall to install a gate because proper stay gate will not install there. For better advice call any professional to check the other possibilities.

Ask a Question