Builder won't complete snagging

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice regarding snagging, certificates & BC atthe end of a building project.

The majority of the works were completed in Feb (3 months late), the builder is now ignoring our letters, calls and emails requesting their return to complete the snagging list.

We're holding a retainer for the snagging which should just cover the outstanding work but any certificates & warranties are all held by the builder.

We would like to get a new builder in to finish the snagging but are worried that we would then struggle to get final sign of by building control and would have no warranties for things like windows & boilers.

Can anyone offer any advice? We have tried every option of solving this amicably with the builder but I guess they have now decided the cost to them of rectifying the problems is greater than we owe.

Thanks,

Reaction score
I have to agree with Surreywinter, or if you know the builder pretty well and know where he's going to be, try and catch him in person. Letters can be ignored, a face to face can facilitate some faster responses.

Reaction score
Well it was definitely a good idea to have a retainer.

I should write a final letter, make a copy and hand it to the builder in person with a witness to the effect "If you do not complete the snagging by X date, we will have to employ the services of another builder to complete the work, and therefore we will be keeping the retaining balance."

If the work is completed by suitably qualified people then they should be able to sign it off. I.e. gas installers can sign off boilers after they haver serviced them they don't necessarily need to have installed them.

Failing that, consult your solicitor.

Good luck.

Ask a Question