Broken wood screw removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm doing some reglazing at the moment and having removed then replaced an opening window I thought I'd use solid brass screws to replace the rusty steel screws which I should have known better but why have it easy when I can really mess a job up; almost driven home the screw head broke away.

Glazing 2021_0012.JPG

I needed to remove the broken screw so rather than mess the job up even more I made the drilling guide from a bit of steel seen above. The hinge was used to accurately align the screw holes; two holes were countersunk to accept the original screws the third hole was drilled at 5mm dia. Now I could screw this guide into position and very gently and carefully drill out the broken screw; a lot of care is needed otherwise a broken drill bit could join the broken screw. Using a sharp utilty knife I then made a dowel slightly larger diameter than the hole and with a spot of wood glue drove the dowel into the hole full depth; a pilot hole was then drilled and when the new steel screw was tightened I took care not to over tighten because it was now in end grain. Worked a treat . the metal drilling guide needs to be a decent thickness.

Just a quick tip because broken screws are so common and can be a real pain to remove.

Kind regards, ColinW.

Reaction score
When using brass screws I was told to
1/. Use a steel screw of [as near as possible] the same dimensions as the intended brass screw, this to cut a pilot hole + threads so the brass screw would not snap.
2/. When using the steel screw, insert and remove this screw then get as much candle wax on to the screw as possible and re-insert the steel screw.
3/. When finally driving the brass screw in as above a load of candle wax on the threads.

OK a phafff but? back in the day, brass screws were to be carefully handled, not really used all that much now??

Ken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for your informative and useful reply Ken it's much appreciated. :)

I've been around DIY for 60 years and am well aware of the dangers of brass screws breaking; I thought I was safe with this job because the original screw holes weren't too tight and the original steel screws were 7g; the brass screw was only one gauge up at 8g so I thought I'd be fine but I can get caught out as I often do.

Steel screws can also snap; this was my way out of the problem so thought it worth sharing.

Kind regards, ColinW.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wood Screw extractor- 21.JPG
First there was text I'd written and now there is none. Who erased it?
Wood screw pilot --- 2017.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for the information SandburRanch; I've not seen the hollow drills for quite some time. I have a set of tapered drill bits specially for drilling screw holes but I thought I was safe with this brass screw it only going into a previously used screw hole it being only one gauge thicker; anyone can get caught out; I find stainless steel screws also rather weak so take care using these.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question