Best water based satinwood paint?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to redecorate our kitchen and spare room as the woodwork paint must be coming up to 15 years since the last coat of paint and it's yellowing and has knot stains leaking through.

I painted the rest of the woodwork a couple of years ago and used Dulux Trade Satinwood (oil based) and Satura BL (water based). The oil based paint was easy to use and looks great, but I only used it in rooms with a lot of natural light to minimise yellowing. A couple of rooms are so dark that I opted to use Satura BL, but it was a real pain to get a nice finish (it ran the second I looked away, with a very short finishing time) - it looks nice, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to use it again.

It looks like water based paints have improved since then and Satura BL is now discontinued. I'm tempted to try Benjamin Moore Advance Satin or Benjamin Moore Scuff-X Satin in Super White (PM-1). Has anyone tried either of these, or have any thoughts on another water based satinwood to try?

Reaction score
Ian, I’m not sure what brands you have available for the finish coat but be sure to apply a coat of Kilz primer first. This will prevent the knot stain from bleeding through. On my last house I used Behr Premium Plus from Home Depot. It lays down great and can be touched up with no visual problem. I hope it is available to you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For years I was envious of all the American clapboard houses being finished in paint that appeared to last for many years which made sense given the size of the houses; I had considered trying to buy Benjamin Moore paint but shipping was a problem.

About three years ago I was once again wanting top class paint having decided to give our bungalow exterior an extensive makeover; WOW Benjamin Moore paint was now available here in the UK through the then sole importers "Shaws". Bron and I sat at the computer to choose a new colour scheme looking at many hundreds of American homes; eventually we decided on two colours; I sent a copy of the image to Shaw's who kindly colour matched for us; it took five and a half gallons of BM paint costing then £75 per US gallon plus shipping.

We've absolutely no regrets in choosing BM paint and will use it for future painting. BM is expensive compared to the rubbish sold at our local DIY stores but really it works out cheapest long term; I've no hesitation in recommending BM paint at all. I did use Zinsser cover stain as primer; BM doesn't cover all types of frame sealant but a coat of Zinsser sorted this small problem out. Water stains were a problem and Shaw's didn't have the answer so I experimented finding WD 40 removes water staining and then I let Shaw's know.

Shaw's were brilliant to deal with.

I agree with Doug in that a top class primer should be applied but with Zinsser you're already sorted with this Ian; I'm sure you'll be happy with BM paint once your tears have subsided having paid for it. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For members here in the UK wanting top class paint here are the Benjamin Moore details;

https://www.benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/

To me it seems pointless spending many hours on prepping to then slap on the cheapest paint available which might fail in less than a year if used on the exterior.

Here's the online decorator merchant I use for painting sundries;

https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/

Whilst painting the bungalow exterior I found this Wooster Pelican incredibly useful; although a bungalow I did spend time up a stepladder painting fascia boards etc; I removed all the rainwater plastic allowing these to be painted in the comfort of the workshop; this then gave clear access to the boards; using the Pelican with brush and roller really speeded the job up; I could use the brush for touching in then simply let the magnet in the Pelican hold the brush whilst I rapidly applied the bulk of the paint with the roller; the Pelican is designed to hold both brush and roller; I bought a dozen Pelican liners but only ever used the one supplied with the Pelican washing the liner out after each session; Benjamin Moore paint is brilliant for clean up; I washed the Pelican and brush etc out in the kitchen sink taking about ten minutes but I'm fastidious when it comes to cleaning my kit. I can highly recommend buying the Pelican;

https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/n/NOVWP/

Here's something few know about and took me many hours to track down;

https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FDDMRF/

Mini paint rollers in both foam and pile; I spent so long on the web finding these that I bought 60 whilst they are available; I was informed mini short rollers were available by a decorators merchant in Halifax but he could no longer supply them and didn't know of a source hence the time I spent searching for them. These short 50mm long rollers are just wonderful; when needed they are needed badly; I had given our front room a comprehensive makeover with panelling to dado level; painting these by brush was daunting but using one of these short rollers with a mini tray was a pleasure.

Unfortunately I had already completed the inside of the bungalow before finding Benjamin Moore paint was available here in the UK.

Over the years I've tried many different brands of paint and most methods of applying paint; I like spraying but masking is time consuming and here in the UK it's usually like a black hole and raining so having doors and windows wide open isn't an option.

I did spray our front bedroom panelling and another very useful item is masking film; this is like cling film and covers large areas quickly and efficiently; I just bought the rolls of film not bothering with a dispenser;

https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/...SY_MASK_PREMIUM_MASKING_FILM_FOR_HAND_MASKER/

Sorry to hijack your thread Ian but I thought the above details worth adding and this is how I now do our painting.

Kind regards, Colin.

Paintwork_001.JPG

Benjamin Moore exterior satin paint in all its glory; I'm delighted with this paint. Rear of bungalow. Rainwater plastic colour coded and was painted in the workshop away from my pet black cloud Blackie who constantly pestered me soaking everything; the BM paint dries rapidly unlike the previous oil paint that suffered Blackies downpours. The big numbers are self adhesive vinyl on a perspex backing.

Paintwork_002.JPG

The bungalow front in the new Benjamin Moore paint; I constructed the new steelwork decking and welded the new steel railings. The side hung garage doors I made a few years ago saving having to keep fully opening the up and over door; I can pop in now without letting all the heat out.

Paintwork_003.JPG

The original oil based paint and original decking I installed years ago.

Paintwork_004.JPG

Our front room after its comprehensive makeover; the short mini roller really was a huge help in painting the panelling.

Paintwork_005.JPG

Our master bedroom after its makeover; Bron and I like our stately homes so I designed and installed the coffered ceiling; the blood has now returned into my arms.

Paintwork_006.JPG

The master bedroom panelling which I sprayed.

Paintwork_007.JPG

Another picture of our front room now completed.

Paintwork_008.JPG

My personal black cloud Blackie usually present every time I work outdoors; this picture taken around dinner time; it was like this all the time I was giving the interior a full makeover working in a black hole.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Here's the picture which influenced our colour choice; I emailed this picture to Shaw's who kindly colour matched then we bought the paint. Credit to the owners of this beautiful house wherever it is in America..

Kind regards, Colin.

BM colour choice home picture USA..PNG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonderful, now that is some comprehensive advice :D. I'm going to pull the trigger on some BM paint from shaws!

I'll drop them a quick message on which paint they would recommend out of Advance Satin and Scuff-X and report back here with the results.

Thank you both for the advice.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First coat of Benjamin Moore Advance went on this morning, and it was so much nicer to work with than other water based satinwood. Really pleased with it so far, so hopefully the 2nd coat will go on just as nicely.

The re-coat time is 24h unfortunately, so I'll get it finished tomorrow and see how it looks :).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So far so good Ian; if it takes a little longer to dry it should be worth it in the end. I've used B&M Aura exterior satin and this dried rapidly outside in the sunshine allowing two coats to be applied in a day.

I'm pleased you like it so far and the second coat I find goes on quicker. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
If you are UK based, I only ever use Leyland water based satin white from Leyland (buy at Toolstation)
If going on top of oil-based, rub down and clean with methylated spirits. Two coats of Zinnser Bullseye 123 and good to go. No yellowing and miles better than big name oil-based "brilliant" white.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @piglet11 - I often get stuff from Toolstation, so it's handy to know there's something good available locally. I liked using the BM Advance paint so much that I bought another tin yesterday. How did you find the application of it, does it behave like oil paints, or is it quite a bit runnier? The BM paint behaved very similar to oil which was why I enjoyed using it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian, thank you for this thread. Which white did you go with?
Amanda

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Amanda P, welcome to the forums. I went with Benjamin Moore Advance Satin in the end and I'm very pleased with it :). Are you in a similar situation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Ian, I'm going to try the Advanced Satin. I've used Sikkens oil based over the last few years but would like to find a quality solution that doesn't yellow. I tried Leyland Acrylic last year in a room that doesn't get heavy use but I found it a bit tricky to apply. What shade of white did you go for, I see there is a white, super white and Chantilly Lace. I've always tended to go for a brilliant white so I'm thinking super white, but I'd be interested to hear what you used. Thank you, I'm finding this forum so useful.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me know what you think of it :). I went for Super White (PM-1) and found that similar to brilliant white.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian, I've painted a few skirting boards with the BM paint and I'm really pleased with how easily it went on and the finish. It had a good open time and covered so much better than other water based satinwood paints I've tried, which seemed to be thin and left lots of brushmarks. It behaved much more like an oil based as you say. I treated myself to some Wooster synthetic brushes from Screwfix which I also really liked. Over time I'll change all the woodwork over to the BM paint, it's the doors next, so I might try a roller on those. Thanks again for all your help.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So pleased to hear you like this paint too! Really good of you to report back :).

Ask a Question