Are self-bleeding radiator valves any good?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got bog-standard radiator bleed valves and I'm happy with them, but I saw some automatic bleed valves the other day and wondered what they were like? Has anyone used them before?

I doubt I'll end up getting one as I'm a little concerned it may leak, which would be far worse than a 10 min job now and again!

Reaction score
Hi Ian

They work by using a little plug of material that expands when wet. In other words, they have to leak a little in order to seal. I can't tell you how many of the things I've slung away over the years, and replaced with conventional.
The important point being that there shouldn't be any air in the rads in the first place. If they need constant bleeding, there is a fault with the system that should be rectified, not hidden.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't tell you how many of the things I've slung away over the years, and replaced with conventional.
Sounds like that's all I need to know!

The important point being that there shouldn't be any air in the rads in the first place. If they need constant bleeding, there is a fault with the system that should be rectified, not hidden.
Quite agree :). I usually end up bleeding the rads about twice per year, around Oct when the heating starts to come on and then Jan if I notice it needs it. That seems to do the trick - although I do check a towel rail on the top floor occasionally as this is where any air/gas seems to end up.

Reaction score
There's not much wrong with your system then Ian. Towel rails can suffer a bit more, that's OK.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question