Any reliable Stud Finder for home use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting a Stud Finder, so that when I drill or nail something into a wall at home, I don't puncture any pipes, wires etc.

I heard that cheap ones aren't good, not sure if this is true.
Any recommendations would be very welcome

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I use a neodymium magnet. They are small (usually circular) magnets, however, they are very strong. Find a nail/screw that fastens your drywall/gypsum board. Once found, more nails/screws should be found about every 24" UP/DOWN from there. If so, that will be a stud. Then measure 16" to the left or right, and another vertical row of nails/screws (about 24" apart)will appear. Too, remember that an electrical outlet midway along the walls length will have a stud either to it's right or left.....its a good double check.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being I'm a DIY'er and not a contractor and an old man once told me that " sometimes good things take a little longer " and being I use a phrase I copied that reads " I don't mind spending money but I do mind wasting money " I use a Pin or sewing needle pushed with pliers. I'ts inexpensive as well as accurate and any test holes made can be coveed with paint. This method can also tell us the drywall thickness if that's desired. I have details if interested.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think Frank 15 is speaking about solid walls which are more common here in the uk. Buried pipework or cables can be difficult to trace, but my Bosch unit has never let me down.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think Frank 15 is speaking about solid walls which are more common here in the uk.

Fortunately the works of the devil assumed by AC and Sandbur are uncommon over here.

Another vote for Bosch.

Also, a bit of investigation first can be a great help.

Pipework tends to go to very few places and should be easy to divine if you can look under floors.

Cables are supposed to only run in corners, just below ceilings, and vertically or horizontally from accessories, and usually they do.

1621427513425.png

But sadly no guarantee. You can get a clue which way they at least start heading off by looking behind accessories.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@ He who knows:

"Fortunately the works of the devil assumed by AC and Sandbur are uncommon over here." I am sure how to perceive that comment, but I'll assume it wasn't malicious.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not at all.

I (and it's a reasonably common view) think that walls like this

1621847718288.png

are an abomination.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok, good to hear that it's all good.

Yes, many wall look like that here in North America. Usually, if the wall is built by a framer (or a carpenter), they don't have so much backing. However, sometimes the backing (vertical strips of 3/4" plywood) is needed to provide "meat" in the wall so as to screw a future mirror, cupboards, heavier nature article in which drywall itself would not be suitable for support.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I once boarded out a brick wall, i.e. battens screwed to it and plasterboard on those, which I did to level itand because there were pipes and cable trunking on it, and I infilled between the battens with 2" of plywood to be able to screw into.

Ask a Question