Youngman Easiway Loft Ladder Catch failure

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum but hope to find answers to something that has bothered me since I fitted an aluminium Youngman Easiway 2 section loft ladder some years ago.

I have had a 2 section loft ladder fitted for some 20 years, and have always been concerned about the small black plastic catches with the yellow plastic sliding catch that locks the two sections when you stow it up in the loft.

I will try and explain in simple terms, when you drop the ladder down the lower section sits on the landing floor (in my case) and the upper section is screwed to a loft joist and pivots enabling the ladder to be pushed up and stored. Fine.

The two aluminium sections have a interlocking 'moulding' detail that slides freely, this is integral to the sliding-up and down of the ladder sections into the loft space. BUT when you climb the ladder all of the persons weight is on the lower section initially and then onto the upper section, even if fitted to tight tolerances the carpet alone allows the downward pressure of the upper section to apply huge loads onto the plastic catch. In my case that catch has, after 20 years now failed, so that the upper section is effectively only supported by the pivoting bracket fixings, also plastic.

In sourcing a replacement 3 section Youngman Easiway Loft Ladder (rather than purchase an entirely new ladder), I see that that once again the use of plastic black and yellow slider catches are used.

Being a 3 section ladder this will mean that the centre section will not be able to rest on the floor and will be able to transfer all of the person's weight and what they are carrying straight onto the one flimsy plastic catch. There does not appear to be any other locking mechanism and I find it amazing that there have not been more accidents reported through a failure with this type of ladder arrangement.

I have spoken with Youngman and whilst trying to help simply say that this type of ladder now has a new design metal style locking mechanism sited at the top of each side of the ladder sections "to bring them in line with health and safety" I'm not surprised!

They offer replacements for the old style but these still don't specify metal or plastic and I'm loathed to purchase more plastic types. http://shop.youngmanaccess.com/spares/deluxe-2-section/60-catch-assembly-pack.html

Has anyone experience of these older type Youngman Easiway Loft Ladders and any ideas on a fix?

I have thought of discarding the existing plastic catches and fitting two steel bolts either side of each section. No ideal and obviously against manufacturers recommendations but they wold have to be way stronger and more likely to take a persons weight than the plastic originals.

Any ideas gratefully received, I may have answered my own question, but apologies for the long explanation, hope it's clear, hard to put into few words!