Where is the heat going in Colorado cabin-Insulating help!

Reaction score
I have a cabin that is built on granite, and the entire floor of the house is not touching the rock. (The entire floor is elevated.)

Wood beams elevate the small house from 5 inches (in the back) to 6 feet above ground (at the balcony).

The underbelly does have some insulation between the 2x4s and a protective 1/2 inch wall is the literal underbelly.

I am pretty sure all the work I put into cutting wood and getting that place warm has been quickly escaping due to being elevated with the negative temps underneath us.

1st Question: Am I to assume that the cold air underneath the cabin does not help the total insulation of the cabin. Correct?

2nd Question: If I was to board up the exposed bottom portion of the cabin (make a crawl space) and put insulation on the inside of this plywood that has now created the crawl space, should I expect better overall insulation in the cabin? Will the warmth be held in the cabin longer, and stay there with this new insulated crawl space?

3rd Question: Will the plywood and added insulation be adequate? or different wood?

Thank you to anyone that can give my their thoughts on this. I don't want to invest the time and money into this task until I know for sure it will help keep us warmer in the Colorado mountains.

Drew

Ask a Question