What is the difference between BSPT and BSPP

Reaction score
I've got some flexible hose that is 1" BSP, but it turns out there are two types: BSPT and BSPP. If it's just sold as "BSP", how do I know which one it is - and does it even matter?

Do I need to buy a specific 1" reducer to connect the male end to, or will any 1" connector do?

Reaction score
In an ideal world all BSP threads would be taper. That way, as the fitting is inserted, the thread tightens and seals. With a parallel thread, there will always be a degree of play, making it difficult to seal. A parallel thread would be used if it was intended to accept something like a union nut. Having said that, most copper x iron female fittings tend to be parallel anyway.
Put it another way. If iron pipe was being used, all threads cut on the pipe would be taper, as would the fittings. An example of a parallel thread would be the stem of a bath tap, where a nut is run up to secure the tap, and a union type fitting is used to connect to the pipe.

I found that rather difficult to explain, not easy without a demo, and I bet I've confused you even more !
If you have any more problems, it would be best to post a photo or two, so we can see what's going on.

Reaction score
Thanks John, I think I understand now!

I found out that the pump has a 1" BSPM connection, which looks like it means parallel, so I guess I should be ok. I'm off to buy some of the sundries today (like compound) and then attempt this next week.

Reaction score
BSPM and BSPP is the same thing (P = parallel, T=taper)...Just for future reference :). Hope the project went well

Ask a Question